Head Coach Leslie Frazier and the Minnesota Vikings (10-6 in 2012) travel to Buffalo for their second preseason game against the Buffalo Bills (6-10 in 2012) this Friday, August 16. Kickoff at Mall of America Field is set for 6:00 p.m. CT. Friday’s game will mark the second preseason game of Frazier’s third season as a head coach. It will be the 10th time the Vikings have met the Bills in the preseason. The Vikings are 7-3 in preseason games and 8-4 in regular season play against Buffalo. This will be the team’s fourth time traveling to Buffalo during the preseason.
Next Sunday the Vikings will head to San Francisco to take on the 49ers at Candlestick Park, while the Bills will head to Washington, D.C. to take on the Redskins.
The Vikings added 32 new faces to the roster since the conclusion of the 2012 season. Along with 9 draft picks, the Vikings signed
TELEVISION: KARE (Channel 11 in Minneapolis)
Play-By-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
Other Midwest affiliates airing the game include: WKBT – LaCrosse, WI ... KGAN – Cedar Rapids, IA KETV – Omaha, NE ... KNDX – Bismarck, ND ... KOTA – Rapid City, SD ... KPTH – Sioux City, IA ... WDIO – Duluth, MN ... KVRR – Fargo, ND ... KSFY – Sioux Falls, SD ... WISC – Madison, WI ... KCCI – Des Moines, IA ... WHBF – Rock Island, IL (Quad Cities) ... KTTC – Rochester, MN.
RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman/Ben Leber
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 5:00 p.m. CST
KFAN and KTLK serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
VIKINGS IN THE PRESEASON
* The Vikings have a combined record of 139-94-3 (.595) in their 236 preseason games.
* The team has finished undefeated in the preseason 6 times (1964, ‘65, ‘73, ‘92, ‘98, ‘01).
* The Vikings have finished with a .500 record or better 40 times in the team’s 52 preseasons.
* In the 40 previous preseasons when the Vikings have finished at .500 or better, the team has gone on to finish at .500 or better 31 times in the ensuing regular season.
* In the 12 preseasons when the Vikings have finished below .500, the team has gone on to finish below .500 six times in the ensuing regular season.
* Head Coach Leslie Frazier has a 3-6 preseason record and will coach in his second preseason game against the Bills.
VIKINGS PERFORMANCES VS. BUFFALO
Matt Cassel..................................................7 games, 119-of-189 passes, 1,118 yards, 4 TD (with NE and KC)
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. BUFFALO
* LB Audie Cole returned two interceptions for touchdowns within a span of 13 seconds of each other in the preseason game on 8/17/12.
* CB Chris Cook had 2 tackles and 1 FF in the 2012 preseason game.
* K Blair Walsh was 5-of-5 on field goal attempts in his second preseason game in the NFL. Walsh also hit both of the XP that he attempted.
* DE Jared Allen recorded a sack and a forced fumble in a Vikings 38-14 victory on 12/5/10.
* RB Adrian Peterson rushed 16 times for 107 yards and 3 touchdowns on 12/5/10. It was one of five times that Peterson has rushed for 3 touchdowns in a single game.
* DE Brian Robison recovered two fumbles on 12/5/10.
VIKINGS VS. BILLS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and Bills have played 10 times during the preseason with the Vikings holding a 7-3 series lead.
• The Vikings own the advantage in the regular season series. The teams have met 12 previous times in the regular season with the Vikings holding an edge at 8-4-0. They have never matched up in the postseason.
• The last time the Vikings and Bills met in the preseason was on 8/17/12, a 36-14 Vikings victory.
• This will be the second meeting between Minnesota and Buffalo since Leslie Frazier became head coach of the Vikings. Frazier is 1-0 in the preseason and 1-0 in the regular season against the Bills.
• Leslie Frazier’s second win as a coach came against Buffalo on 12/5/10.
• The Vikings and Bills have played in 1 overtime game against each other. In 2002, the Bills defeated the Vikings 45-39 in the extra period.
• The last time the Vikings visited Buffalo in the preseason was in 2002 when the Vikings won 24-21.
• In 1993, the Bills and Vikings played a preseason game in Berlin, Germany, a 20-6 Vikings victory.
• Vikings running backs coach James Saxon spent the 2000 season as a running backs coach for the Bills, his first season as a coach in the NFL.
• Vikings WR
• Vikings assistant head coach Mike Singletary coached the Baltimore Ravens with Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine(2003-2004) and Bills defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson(2003).
• Vikings offensive line coach Jeff Davidson was on the same staff with the Carolina Panthers from 2007-2009 as Bills special teams coach Danny Crossman.
• Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer coached the New York Giants from 2003-2004 while Bills wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard was a player on the team. Hilliard returned four punts during the 2004 season when Priefer served as the teams assistant special teams coach.
• Vikings wide receivers coach George Stewart coached with Bills offensive line coach Pat Morris in San Francisco from 1997-2002.
• Vikings linebackers coach Fred Pagac was a coach for the Oakland Raiders when Bills running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley was a player for the organization from 2001-2003.
• Vikings C
• Vikings LB
• Vikings K Blair Walsh and Bills T Cordy Glenn played on season together at University of Georgia in 2011.
• Vikings LB Brian Robison and LS
Bills T Tony Hills at the University of Texas. Robison played with Hills from 2003-2006 while Loeffler and Hills played together in 2003.
• Vikings OT
• Vikings TE
• A total of nine players spanning the two teams played together at Florida State during the 2009 season. The Vikings have DT