SUNDAY, OCTOBER 27, 2013 - MALL OF AMERICA FIELD - 7:30 CT - NBC
The Minnesota Vikings (1-5) face the Green Bay Packers (4-2) on Sunday, October 27 at Mall of America Field. The game, scheduled to kickoff at 7:30 CT, marks the 5th time the Vikings will play the Packers on Sunday Night Football. The last Sunday Night Football matchup between the division foes took place on 10/24/10, a 28-24 Packers victory. In 5 of the last 6 years, the Vikings/Packers matchup has been played on either Monday Night Football or Sunday Night Football.
The Vikings and Packers last regular season meeting took place during the final week of the 2012 regular season.
In 3 total games against the Packers last season,
NATIONAL TELEVISION: NBC (Channel 11 in Minneapolis)
Play-by-Play: Al Michaels Analyst: Cris Collinsworth
Sideline Reporter: Michele Tafoya
NATIONAL RADIO: WestwoodOne
Play-by-Play: Kevin Kugler Analyst: James Lofton
Sideline Reporter: Darren Sharper
LOCAL RADIO: KFAN-FM 100.3/KTCN-AM 1130
Play-by-Play: Paul Allen Analyst: Pete Bercich
Sideline Reporter: Greg Coleman
Pre-Game Show: Mike Mussman – 5:00 p.m. CT
KFAN and KTCN serve as the flagship stations for the 72-station, 5-state Vikings Radio Network.
STAT OF THE WEEK
• RB Adrian Peterson has the 4th-most rushing yards (1,541) against Green Bay in NFL history. Peterson trails Walter Payton (2,484), Barry Sanders (2,227) and Joe Perry (1,667). Peterson will play in his 13th game vs. the Packers whille Payton played 24, Sanders 19 and Perry 23.
• Fomer Vikings S Joey Browner will be inducted into the Ring of Honor during halftime. Browner becomes the 21st member of the Ring of Honor and the 2nd DB selected to the prestigious group.
• Sherels 2 career punt return TDs is tied for most in franchise history, joining Mewelde Moore and David Palmer and ranks 4th in club history with a 9.9 yard punt return average.
• The Vikings, with 25 penalites against them, are tied for the lowest total in the NFL (MIami).
• The Vikings are only one of two teams (Denver) in the NFL that have scored on a kickoff return and a punt return in the 2013 season.
• This game marks the 5th matchup against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday Night Football, the 2nd-most common opponent for the Vikings on Sunday Night Football (Bears, 8). The matchup also marks the last game between the Vikings and Packers at Mall of America Field.
• The Vikings lead the border battle 12-8 in the last 20 games played at the Metrodome.
• Peterson currently ranks 2nd among all active players with 86 TDs, trailing only Tony Gonzales (106).
• The Vikings have played the Packers 105 times, the most against any opponent.
• Vikings WR Greg Jennings spent the first 7 seasons of his NFL career with the Green Bay Packers. Jennings, who was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2006 NFL Draft, had 425 receptions, 6,537 yards and 53 TD to lead the Packers during that span.
• Packers VP of Football Administration/Player Finance Russ Ball spent time with the Vikings from 1999-2000 as the Senior Football Administrator.
• Packers VP of Sales and Marketing Tim Connolly served 2 seasons as the Vikings Executive VP and GM from 1998-99.
• Packers Area Scout Lee Gissendaner went to training camp with the Vikings and spent parts of the 1996 season on Minnesota’s practice squad.
• Packers Assistant OL Coach Joel Hilgenberg’s uncle, Wally, played LB for the Vikings from 1967-79.
• Vikings Assistant DL Coach Diron Reynolds’ brother, Jamal, was a 1st round pick for the Green Bay Packers in 2001. Jamal played from 2001-03 with the Packers.
• Vikings RB
• Vikings Special Teams Coordinator Mike Priefer graduated from high school in Green Bay while his dad coached for the Packers.
• Packers Director of College Scouting Brian Gutekunst’s father was the head coach for the University of Minnesota from 1985-92.
• Packers Director of Research and Development Mike Eayrs spent 16 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings as the Director of Research and Development. Eayrs, who was born in West Concord, Minn., holds a bachelor’s degree from Augsburg College in Minneapolis and a master’s degree from the University of South Dakota. Eayrs spent time coaching in Winnebago, Minn. and at Minnesota State, Mankato.
• Vikings rookies P
• Vikings QB Josh Freeman and Packers WR Jordy Nelson played together at Kansas State from 2006-07. During the 2007 season, Freeman and Nelson connected 122 times for 1,606 yards and 11 TD, the 2nd-best quarterback-wide receiver duo in college football that year.
• Packers Defensive Coordinator Dom Capers coached with Vikings LB Coach Fred Pagac at Ohio State from 1982-83. Capers coached the secondary while Pagac led the linebackers. Pagac coached Packers DT Ryan Pickett at Ohio State. From 1997-99 Pagac served as the Defensive Coordinator and in 2000 was the Assistant Head Coach.
• Packers LB Clay Matthews and LB Nick Perry were teammates at USC with Vikings DE
• Vikings Assistant Offensive Line Coach Ryan Silverfield served as a Graduate Assistant at Central Florida during Packers G Josh Sitton’s junior and season seasons. In 2006, Silverfield worked with the offense and in 2007 he worked with the defense.
VIKINGS BIG DAYS VS. PACKERS
• DE Jared Allen set a career-high with 4.5 sacks against the Packers on Monday Night Football on 10/5/09 in a Vikings 30-23 win.
• RB Adrian Peterson ran for 210 yards, including a career long 82-yard TD run, on 21 carries during Week 13 of the 2012 season.
• DE Everson Grifffen recorded a career-high 3.0 sacks against the Packers in the final game of the 2012 regular season on 12/30/12.
• Vikings K Blair Walsh connected on 29-yard FG as time expired on 12/30/12 to give the Vikings a 37-34 victory over Green Bay, helping the Vikings clinch a Wildcard berth.
• Vikings WR
VIKINGS-PACKERS SERIES NOTES
• The Vikings and Packers have played 105 times overall with Green Bay holding a 55-49-1 series record.
• The last meeting between the two teams was in the 2012 Wild Card with Green Bay winning 24-10. It was only the 2nd postseason meeting between the two teams.
• The Vikings and Packers have met 4 times on Sunday Night Football with the Packers leading 3-1.
• The last overtime meeting between the two teams took place on 11/6/2000, a Packers 26-20 win on Monday Night Football.
• The Vikings won the last regular season meeting between the two teams 37-34 on 12/30/12. Blair Walsh connected on a 29-yard FG as time expired to give the Vikings the victory.
A WIN WOULD...
• Give the Vikings their 1st win on Sunday NIght Football since 11/30/08 when they defeated the Chicago Bears 34-14.
• Give the Vikings back-to-back home wins against the Packers for the first time since 10/5/09.
• Give the Vikings their 16th win on Sunday Night Football, moving their record to 16-16.